Saturday, June 30, 2007

Sales Talk

(note to mini: this is just a sample entry. ok?)

"Who still reads the newspaper here?" our professor in Sales asked our class the other day. Nobody answered. Then a few students raised their hands.

Appalled, our professor "lectured" that as law students we should be aware of what is happening around us. "For how can you strike up a good conversation when you don't know what's happening? You're law students, you should know these things" she passionately exclaims. And then she adds that she might include current events in the quizzes!

I have nothing against being aware of the things and issues around me. And I love this professor (yes, I do). But there is just something wrong with what she said.

First, I surely can talk about a lot of things and ideas without reading the newspaper.

For one thing, I can talk about her assigned cases in Sales and expound on the concepts of Dacion en pago, Barter, etc.
Anyway, nowadays I only get to talk to my law school classmates, and my brother and his wife (who are both lawyers). I don't need a conversation piece to be able to talk to my boyfriend (yes, we never run out of things to talk about hehehe). And when I talk to other people outside my circle, they usually ask me about the law when they find out that I'm a law student (to which i always feel like screaming "helllo???!!!")

Plus, the newspaper is not the only source of news. I occasionally watch the news on TV. or i get to hear it on the radio. or skim through google or yahoo news. Or just listen to the cab driver talk. hehehe


Second, it is just so wrong to expect that a law student (or a lawyer) should know EVERYTHING. Our professor in Obli Con also believes in this notion. A person cannot possibly know everything (yes even Bryan SJ has lapses hehehe)!
Isn't it enough that we study for their classes? How can they expect us to remember to read the newspaper when we have an average of 15 cases per subject to read? I even feel guilty when I rest, or write down my thoughts like what I am doing now. Because every minute I spend sleeping or blogging, is a minute for studying being "wasted". (This is starting to sound pathetic...)

On the positive side, it's good to have people expect a lot from you, for it means that they see some potential in you. However, I just wish that my load will lighten a bit. And the pressure to ease up.

I just watched the Big Brother Big Night tonight. And I was just thinking that now I have something to talk to people about. But then, I remember our Insurance professor said he'd kill us if he knew we watch that show. For him, it's not good for law students to watch those kinds of shows.

Oh well.

So, I'm back to talking about Dacion en pago, huh?

No comments: